Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Watch out on copyright

Once in a while, everyone should write a three line poem with each line being the title of a song =P Although, how would that affect the copyright? I guess you'd need permission from each songwriter? I know in collage art that any piece of art that gets incorporated requires the permission of the original artist, and in music even a few notes strung together can be the subject of a million dollar lawsuit...

Therefore, I will not post my three line poem with titles from Bowie/Queen, Pat Benatar and Sting, just in case
I was really surprised by this story http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2012/07/blogging-authors-beware-you-can-get.html
Since Roni Loren took down the picture right away, did not claim it as her own, and did not seek to profit from it, I was quite surprised that she was still liable for money. 
So, yeah. Best not post anything made of song titles =P

2 comments:

  1. Hi David. From what I understand, titles cannot be copyrighted. That's why so many movies, songs, and books can have the same title without any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I wonder though about creative reuse of titles without permission, especially if those titles are part of the lyrics. Well, I suppose it's okay, as parodies are okay...

    ReplyDelete